Evaluating and Choosing the Best Long Term Care Services
The quality of long term care services can vary greatly. It is wise to invest some time to research the options available in your area:
- Personal referrals are powerful tools. Ask friends and neighbors about their experiences.
- Physicians, social workers and spiritual advisors who work with the elderly may be willing to make recommendations
- Most states keep track of complaints about nursing homes and long term care facilities. See if your state has a Long Term Care Ombudsman or local Area Agency on Aging that inspects facilities. The State Health Department may also provide information.
- If you are considering a Continuing Care Retirement Community, find out if it is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.
Personal visits to the facilities that have been researched or recommended can help you narrow your choices. Answer these questions after your visits:
- Were we treated honestly and made to feel comfortable?
- Were all of our questions answered?
- Did staff members show care and respect for their clients/patients?
- Will the special needs of my loved one be met?
- Is the facility clean and the atmosphere pleasant?
- Are there appropriate recreational programs available?
- Are the fees charged affordable for our circumstances?
If the amount of information gathered makes choosing the best long term care option difficult, it might be helpful to seek out a Family Mediator who can help negotiate an outcome that is acceptable to all participants.
If you live in Michigan and need experienced estate planning help, contact Michael Einheuser for a free consultation. Michael helps families in Bingham Farms, Troy, Farmington Hills, Rochester Hills, Southfield, West Bloomfield Township, Bloomfield Township, and the surrounding Michigan areas.
Schedule your Free Consultation today: (248) 398-4665.
Return from the Best Long Term Care article to the main LTC page by clicking here.
About the Author | Contact Me | Disclaimer